Today’s sandwich is unphotogenic (so no photos, just your generic sammich) but quite lovely so I’ll likely make again. Improvised based on what’s in the fridge. I used the oregano to bring out the delightfully Mediterranean flavour. I’ve become such a fan of the wonderful Halloumi.
- Extra virgin olive oil (about a teaspoon)
- Chopped yellow onion (about a teaspoon)
- Halloumi cheese (a 25g chunk sliced into two)
- 1 portabella mushroom (20g), sliced
- 2 slices of tomato
- a pinch of ground oregano
- 2 slices of bread (I use Massimo’s wheatgerm enriched bread here in Malaysia)
- 2 slices romaine lettuce.
- Hunt’s Hickory BBQ sauce, 1 teaspoon (or the BBQ sauce of your choice)
Heat pan, add the extra-virgin olive oil. I use a brush to brush the oil evenly across the pan. Add halloumi slices on one side of the pan, the mushrooms on the other. Add onions and tomato slices to the mushroom side of the pan. Remove Halloumi when golden brown on each side. Add oregano to the tomatoes, onion and mushrooms. Remove from pan when nicely done. Onions should be gently caramelized, tomatoes softened, and mushrooms should be done. Place lettuce on each slice of bread. Place the Halloumi on one slice atop the lettuce, pile the mushroom, tomato and onion mixture. Add a dollop of Hickory BBQ sauce, and cover with the other slice. Ta-da!
Listening to: These Creatures — Jean Michel-Jarre, Julia Holter