- 2-3 slices mackerel
- 1 lemongrass lightly pounded or punctured at the root
- 3-4 slices galanggal root
- turmeric root or powder (I like my broth very turmeric-y so I use about a tablespoon but YMMV. Try 2cm if fresh turmeric root, which is what most recipes recommend)
- 2-3 slices young ginger
- 6-7 red shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-2 pinches sugar (I used demerara sugar as usual)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon belachan paste.
3-5 green bird’s eye chillis, lightly pounded. (or 1 red green chilli sliced, if you can’t stand heat)
- 2-3 small pieces asam gelugur/keping
Place everything except for the fish in a pot with enough water to make a gently fragrant broth. When the broth is bubbling and flavoursome, add the fish so it will poach. Season with some grated black pepper.